Saturday, September 09, 2006

The Journey Continues

The next phase of Patty's Journey will begin on Monday at 9 a.m. She will begin her chemotherapy treatments then. You could really break this journey down to five stages. Diagnosis, Surgery, Chemotherapy, Radiation Therapy, and ultimately Survivorship. Cancer progression is broken down into staging as well. Diagnosis staging has 4 stages. With 1 being the best and 4 being the absolute worse. Stage 1 represents that the cancer was caught in its earliest stages and most likely will be cured. Stage 4 represents that the cancer has spread to other organs or systems in the body and the hope for cure is slim without intervention from the Lord. If you were wondering Patty's cancer was a Stage 2a.

She continues to feel better but still has a lot of soreness. She's beginning her exercises to improve her range of motion. She's also driving now so she's gained back some of that freedom we all enjoy.

So we're moving into Stage 3, chemotherapy. Its amazing its only been a month. From what I read most describe Stage 1,diagnosis, as the most agonizing. I concur. The first chemo treatment will last 4.5 hours. Patty about croaked when I told her. She can't imagine sitting in a chair that long. She really won't feel the full effects of the treatment until day 2 and 3 after the treatment. Hair loss usually kicks in about 2 weeks after the treatment. Please pray that she will tolerate the treatment well and have minimal side effects. Also that she will cope well with the whole hair loss issue.

By the way, she's beginning to feel better just still a lot of soreness.

3 comments:

Debi RN said...

Patty and Scott, there are some things you can do in the realm of natural medicine to keep the white blood cell counts better. I don't know how it may interact with chemo drugs, but my friend Tara had a "0" wbc after her chemo. That's right, "0". She was told she'd never recover a normal level, within a year she was back.

First, beta-glucan, the 1,3/1,6 version. It's a polysaccharide that helps support machrophages. Here's a link to where I buy
http://www.kirkmanlabs.com/products/specialty/beta_glucan/BetaGlucan_C_100_Spec050.html

Second, there's a Native American tea called "Essiac Tea" that was created just for breast cancer. Many kids with autism now drink it and has had many reports of healing their digestive problems. I buy from this place because the quality is well-trusted in the autism community -- I know she's not our Faith, but a quality product is what I'm after
http://www.ojibwatea.com/ You can also buy some bottled versions at Earth Fare, don't know that much about the brands outside of Ojibwa.

Thirdly, vit b-12, folic acid, and vit c are very important supplements. b-12 and folic acid work together so it's good to take them together. methyl b-12 might work even better because of the methyl donor, and folinic acid might be more easily absorbed. Vitamin C is just always good for any immune issue, generally speaking.

Again, I don't know the details of drug interaction with these, so you might wanna read the drug interaction warnings.

HTH,
Debi

Anonymous said...

Hi Patty,

I just wanted you to know that I had such a wonderful time with you today at your luncheon. I was so glad to see you laugh and smile. I love you so much and I know that you will win this battle. I hope you had a good time with all your closest friends. God has blessed you with such a wonderful group of ladies who are always here for you. You have to know how much you are loved and cared for. I pray that you will have a good rest of the weekend. Matthew & I will be praying for you this week as you begin your treatments. I love you.

Robbie Hurst

Anonymous said...

Patty,
I hope you had a good weekend, and that your treatment will go well for you tomorrow. I will be thinking about you and pray that you do well. I will call Monday night. See you in a few days. Love you Rosalind