Tuesday, February 20, 2007

Weekend Update

Patty and I had a great time up in the Smokies this past weekend. She did well all except for an extremely sore throat. We're not sure if it is due to sinuses, strep throat, or an ulcer from the chemo. It started to get better on Monday so hopefully that will continue.

We got about 4-5 inches of snow where we were staying. We've always dreamed of going up to the Smokies and getting snowed in. We couldn't believe it actually happened. Of course, it cleared up early the next morning and we were able to get and go eat that afternoon. The night it snowed we got in the hot tub and sat there while the snow fell on our heads! It was great.

Chuck and I went snow skiing Saturday morning. It was the first time I had been in eight years. Chuck is an ol' pro, he never fell until some wild and crazy snowboarder clipped him from behind and blew him out of his skis, lol... The guy hit him so hard it broke the front bindings on his ski! That ended our day of skiing which, was fine considering I had crashed about a dozen times. Some which were worthy of America's Funniest Videos I'm sure. My wrist and neck were starting to feel the brunt of my slaloming ineptness. Actually, I did better than I expected. I worked my way up to Gatlinburg's most difficult blue runs which are probably akin to the bunny slopes of Colorado. Moral victory nonetheless.

While Chuck and I were traversing the slopes of Ober Gatlinburg, Patty and Beth were doing what they do best - SHOP. I believe I got off easy as they didn't visit many stores and when the snow starting falling they begin to make a "bee line" to the cabin. The next day we got out and hiked around in the snow. Patty and Beth built a miniature snowman. The cabin had a real fireplace so we kept a fire going most of the time. It had a definite coziness about it.

It was a great time for Patty and I to get away and not think about the current stresses of life that are constantly on our minds. We hadn't really done that in a long time. Thanks to all of you who helped make it happen. You're the best!

No comments: